former spam attempt

A forum for the discussion of issues technical and computer.

former spam attempt

Postby debtaaaabc » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:03 pm

<i>EDIT: spam erased by iblis - user deactivated - eat at joes; admins pm me if more information is needed. </i>
debtaaaabc
 

Postby junkie christ » Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:33 pm

HOLYHOLY SHIT TO THE SPAM.
O(+>
Drinking makes you the same asshole your father was.
http://www.knoxnihilism.com/forum - site admin.
Prayer, Praise, Profit.
User avatar
junkie christ
Over 5000 Posts. Beware the Junkie Rant!
 
Posts: 5184
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 5:11 am
Location: doomed to fail

Postby Nephilim » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:25 pm

Might I suggest adding a captcha registration mod or some other spambot fighting mods to phpbb?

There are plenty out there.
NashvilleGothic.com - Administrator
Salvation in Nashville - co-founding DJ
User avatar
Nephilim
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:09 pm
Location: Nashvillistan

Postby Mother Mo » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:09 pm

Jeebus Christie! :shock:
Change how you see, not how you look.
User avatar
Mother Mo
Over 2000 posts. Beware.
 
Posts: 2340
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:31 am
Location: A hobbit hole in north knox

Postby X » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:19 pm

Or you could always add the tag line:

Knoxgothic, your one stop porn, debt consolidation, want ad surplus.
I'm a big bright shining star......
X
 
Posts: 839
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:45 pm
Location: Sin City

Postby vertigo25 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:15 am

Or you could always get a real forum engine like Vanilla. You know... maybe enter the 21st century and we could all do nifty things like use RSS to follow threads and what not.
The firemen came and broke through the chimney top. And me and Mom were expecting them to pull out a dead cat or a bird. And instead they pulled out my father. He was dressed in a Santa Claus suit. He'd been climbing down the chimney... his arms loaded with presents. He was gonna surprise us. He slipped and broke his neck. He died instantly. And that's how I found out there was no Santa Claus.
User avatar
vertigo25
 
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:18 pm
Location: an open field west of a big white house with a boarded front door.

Postby gothic_spleen » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:36 am

I think after this shit vader should get a raise....ill buy u a bongwater....
"OH SHIT.....MY SPLEEN" - ME
User avatar
gothic_spleen
Drunken Terrorist
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:13 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Postby iblis » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:48 am

vertigo25 wrote:Or you could always get a real forum engine like Vanilla. You know... maybe enter the 21st century and we could all do nifty things like use RSS to follow threads and what not.

funny, i was following this thread via RSS today.

http://www.knoxgothic.com/forum/rss.php

so, how are you defining the term "real forum engine"?

i mean, phpBB and vanilla both run on php and they both rely on add-ons for additional functionality.

i'm asking this as a serious, honest question, by the way.
If carpenters made buildings the way programmers make programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy all of civilization. — Anonymous
User avatar
iblis
Don't click the iblis link!!!!
 
Posts: 4866
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:19 pm

Postby iblis » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:13 am

Nephilim wrote:Might I suggest adding a captcha registration mod or some other spambot fighting mods to phpbb?

There are plenty out there.

i was under the impression that we had some kind of "this is a gay image with text - type the text in if you're not a robot" mod on here for registering.

maybe it's not sophisticated enough to prevent spambots anymore... i mean, OCR isn't all that difficult to do (there are a handful of tutorials available on perlmonks.org for it).

then again, it's been a while since i went to register a new account, so i can't guarantee that's still in place. :mrgreen:
If carpenters made buildings the way programmers make programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy all of civilization. — Anonymous
User avatar
iblis
Don't click the iblis link!!!!
 
Posts: 4866
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:19 pm

Postby Nephilim » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:41 am

iblis wrote:i was under the impression that we had some kind of "this is a gay image with text - type the text in if you're not a robot" mod on here for registering.

maybe it's not sophisticated enough to prevent spambots anymore... i mean, OCR isn't all that difficult to do (there are a handful of tutorials available on perlmonks.org for it).

then again, it's been a while since i went to register a new account, so i can't guarantee that's still in place. :mrgreen:


That was merely an example. There are other methods of accomplishing some spambot filtering as well.

Either way, I quit using phpbb because (among other reasons) their release cycle was talking too long and it hasn't been exactly well known for its security (of course this may or may not have changed since the last time I used it).

Besides, there are other free forum packages out there that have more features 'out of the box', have better spambot detection 'out of the box', and are easier to maintain/update/add mods to than phpbb.

...but I'm not here to tell Vader what to do. I just offer help or suggestions where I may.
NashvilleGothic.com - Administrator
Salvation in Nashville - co-founding DJ
User avatar
Nephilim
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:09 pm
Location: Nashvillistan

Postby iblis » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:52 am

Nephilim wrote:
iblis wrote:i was under the impression that we had some kind of "this is a gay image with text - type the text in if you're not a robot" mod on here for registering.

maybe it's not sophisticated enough to prevent spambots anymore... i mean, OCR isn't all that difficult to do (there are a handful of tutorials available on perlmonks.org for it).

then again, it's been a while since i went to register a new account, so i can't guarantee that's still in place. :mrgreen:


That was merely an example. There are other methods of accomplishing some spambot filtering as well.

Either way, I quit using phpbb because (among other reasons) their release cycle was talking too long and it hasn't been exactly well known for its security (of course this may or may not have changed since the last time I used it).

Besides, there are other free forum packages out there that have more features 'out of the box', have better spambot detection 'out of the box', and are easier to maintain/update/add mods to than phpbb.

...but I'm not here to tell Vader what to do. I just offer help or suggestions where I may.

hey, suggestions are good. what are you using now? vanilla, like vert mentioned?

and how did and/or could you convert your old forum db to the new one?
If carpenters made buildings the way programmers make programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy all of civilization. — Anonymous
User avatar
iblis
Don't click the iblis link!!!!
 
Posts: 4866
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:19 pm

Postby Nephilim » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:58 am

I'm using Simple Machines Forum. It's free and awesome, and they have DB converters for all the major forums out there.
NashvilleGothic.com - Administrator
Salvation in Nashville - co-founding DJ
User avatar
Nephilim
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:09 pm
Location: Nashvillistan

Postby iblis » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:00 pm

Nephilim wrote:I'm using Simple Machines Forum. It's free and awesome, and they have DB converters for all the major forums out there.

looking into it now.
If carpenters made buildings the way programmers make programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy all of civilization. — Anonymous
User avatar
iblis
Don't click the iblis link!!!!
 
Posts: 4866
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:19 pm

Postby DarkVader » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:17 pm

For the record, we're using "this is a gay image with text - type the text in if you're not a robot", we're using an automatic email account test that actually asks the user's SMTP server if the account is valid, and I've even thrown in a few other things, like firewalling out about half of Asia.

From what I can tell, the spammers are using humans with real email accounts, and doing this manually. Quite a few of them are using gmail accounts - and if we didn't have so many real users with gmail accounts, I'd just blanket ban gmail.

I watched a few of the Vanilla demos - I don't like it. I don't think this is fixable with software anyway.

So, I've made one more change that will keep them from posting. I've switched account activation to admin. This means legit new users will have a delay before they can post, but I'm out of other ideas.
We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
User avatar
DarkVader
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1084
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:17 am
Location: Knoxville


Return to GothGeek

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests