Got a Wii Sunday

A forum for the discussion of issues technical and computer.

Got a Wii Sunday

Postby Nephilim » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:11 am

I got a Wii this weekend.

So far, my experience with regards to the new motion sensing controls has been:

"Wow, this is so cool."

I picked up Excite Truck and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and of course, it came with Wii-sports. I think I am also going to go and pick up Red Steel today.

So far, to me, the Wii is definitely worth the price of admission.
NashvilleGothic.com - Administrator
Salvation in Nashville - co-founding DJ
User avatar
Nephilim
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:09 pm
Location: Nashvillistan

Postby Bigun » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:17 am

From all what I have heard, I'll be getting one, and I detest consoles normally. And 50% of my reasoning behind is being able to play original NES games on it.
User avatar
Bigun
 
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:41 am
Location: Cleveland, TN

Postby elasticwings » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:03 am

There's reports on Digg that Circuit City is supposed to sell more this Sunday. My roommate is out of town this weekend so I'll probably drive myself over towards that area late Saturday night/early Sunday morning and try to get one.
"Solaris x86 is now where Linux was 4 years ago"
User avatar
elasticwings
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:38 am

Postby elasticwings » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:34 am

Got mine this morning. Froze my ass off at Circuit City, but I'm happy now.
"Solaris x86 is now where Linux was 4 years ago"
User avatar
elasticwings
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:38 am

Postby iblis » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:01 pm

elasticwings wrote:Got mine this morning. Froze my ass off at Circuit City, but I'm happy now.

we've heard from neph - now, what are your thoughts on the motion-sensing controls?

as far as i've read into it, it's been lauded as the "killer feature" of the wii.

also, to both of you, and any other owner of the wii, how are the graphics enhancements thus far?

and i'm sure everyone wants to know: when you call in sick, do you plan on telling your boss that you couldn't pass up a chance to play with your wii? ;)
If carpenters made buildings the way programmers make programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy all of civilization. — Anonymous
User avatar
iblis
Don't click the iblis link!!!!
 
Posts: 4866
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:19 pm

Postby footprintzinthesand » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:31 pm

iblis wrote:and i'm sure everyone wants to know: when you call in sick, do you plan on telling your boss that you couldn't pass up a chance to play with your wii? ;)


I'm starting to wonder if they named it that on purpose... I mean, think about it... How many people in the world are now going to have, "I'm going to go play with my wii/i've been playing with my wii", etc. etc. etc. come out of their mouths?
footprintzinthesand
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:08 pm

Postby elasticwings » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:04 pm

So far from what I've played today. The motion sensing controls work pretty well. It's taking a lot of getting used to and still sometimes troublesome on Red Steel. It works great with Wii Sports. I haven't tried the Zelda game I bought yet. I'll probably break into it sometime this week. I'm betting that it will work really well with it as well since it's a first party title.
"Solaris x86 is now where Linux was 4 years ago"
User avatar
elasticwings
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:38 am

Postby Nephilim » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:43 am

The graphics are about the same as the Gamecube. I haven't done any serious checking, but it looks like the Wii is set up to handle more effects than the GC was, like anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, and high-dynamic range lighting. It does not have the graphics capabilites of the 360 or the PS3, but it looks like they made it so what it can do, it can do really well, without much overhead.

The only "HD" capabilities it has is being able to do 480p. So no 720p or 1080i (or p). However, progressive scan (the p in 480p) does look really nice compared to standard definition televisions (or 480i).
NashvilleGothic.com - Administrator
Salvation in Nashville - co-founding DJ
User avatar
Nephilim
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:09 pm
Location: Nashvillistan

Postby junkie christ » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:23 pm

as with the DS, fuck graphics so long as its fun.

my question is to everyone, is it fun.
O(+>
Drinking makes you the same asshole your father was.
http://www.knoxnihilism.com/forum - site admin.
Prayer, Praise, Profit.
User avatar
junkie christ
Over 5000 Posts. Beware the Junkie Rant!
 
Posts: 5184
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 5:11 am
Location: doomed to fail

Postby Nephilim » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:40 am

Well, considering my shoulder has been sore on and off since I bought it from playing Wii-Sports, I'd say yes.
NashvilleGothic.com - Administrator
Salvation in Nashville - co-founding DJ
User avatar
Nephilim
 
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:09 pm
Location: Nashvillistan

Postby elasticwings » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:03 pm

Nephilim wrote:Well, considering my shoulder has been sore on and off since I bought it from playing Wii-Sports, I'd say yes.
Yay, I'm not the only one. The boxing game wears the hell out of my shoulders. And yes, it is that fun. I just started playing Zelda last night, and I had fun even in the opening learning parts. I know it's going to rock once I actually get a ways into the game.
"Solaris x86 is now where Linux was 4 years ago"
User avatar
elasticwings
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:38 am

Postby iblis » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:45 pm

elasticwings wrote:
Nephilim wrote:Well, considering my shoulder has been sore on and off since I bought it from playing Wii-Sports, I'd say yes.
Yay, I'm not the only one. The boxing game wears the hell out of my shoulders. And yes, it is that fun. I just started playing Zelda last night, and I had fun even in the opening learning parts. I know it's going to rock once I actually get a ways into the game.

um, does the boxing game require two controllers?

that's the only way i could see it being realistic enough...

put some weights on your wii, bitch!
If carpenters made buildings the way programmers make programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy all of civilization. — Anonymous
User avatar
iblis
Don't click the iblis link!!!!
 
Posts: 4866
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:19 pm

Postby elasticwings » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:32 pm

iblis wrote:
elasticwings wrote:
Nephilim wrote:Well, considering my shoulder has been sore on and off since I bought it from playing Wii-Sports, I'd say yes.
Yay, I'm not the only one. The boxing game wears the hell out of my shoulders. And yes, it is that fun. I just started playing Zelda last night, and I had fun even in the opening learning parts. I know it's going to rock once I actually get a ways into the game.

um, does the boxing game require two controllers?

that's the only way i could see it being realistic enough...

put some weights on your wii, bitch!


The boxing game uses the Wii-mote and the Nunchuck attachment thingy. So yes, it requires both hands.
"Solaris x86 is now where Linux was 4 years ago"
User avatar
elasticwings
 
Posts: 640
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:38 am

Postby Bigun » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:55 am

User avatar
Bigun
 
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:41 am
Location: Cleveland, TN

Postby footprintzinthesand » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:56 pm

Huhhuh... :-)
footprintzinthesand
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:08 pm

Postby DarkVader » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:39 am

http://poohandwii.ytmnd.com/

I think I'm going to add this link to every wii thread.

I'm not sure what they were thinking when they named it, but I just can't bring myself to want to own one.

Of course, I don't like consoles anyway, I don't own any of them.
We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
User avatar
DarkVader
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1084
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:17 am
Location: Knoxville


Return to GothGeek

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron