Page 1 of 1

Transformers was....*possible spoilers*

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:59 pm
by Nephilim
AWESOME.

I saw it last night here in Nashville.

As a longtime fan of the original series, I was REALLY worried about this being a Michael Bay film (as I have yet to like any of them that I have seen so far). So going into it, I had some severe reservations, however.....I spent most of the movie feeling like a grade-school kid again watching the original series.

*****BEGIN POSSIBLE SPOILERS***** -you have been warned-

There were a few nit-picky things wrong with it (aren't there always?) however, in light of everything that Michael and Co. got right, they are near-forgettable. Re-casting the original voice actor of Optimus Prime as Optimus in the movie was absolutely necessary, and thankfully Bay delivered...and then some. The first time I heard "the voice" in the movie, it literally sent chills down my spine....and then later on you hear one of the most famous lines to ANY Transformers fan.....

"Autobots, transform and roll out!"

The other Autobots (and Decepticons) are exceedingly well done, despite some of them being the wrong kinds of vehicles (very forgivable when seen in the context of the movie). ILM did a wonderful job on them and the way they transform and move when in robot form is just awesome.

Megatron. I would have liked him to be more like the original in looks, HOWEVER, I can understand why he was changed so much. After all, how does a 25-50+ foot tall robot transform into a pistol small enough in scale for one of said robots to use one-handed? This change is made-up for by the fact that he is voiced by Hugo Weaving.....and at one point in the movie (Megatron fans will love this) he berates Starscream.

Which brings us to another of the few nit-picking points I have. Starscream has only ONE OR TWO lines in the entire movie. I kinda missed the dynamic between he and Megatron that was ever-present in the animated series. However, the end of the movie is left wide open for a sequel, so we shall see.

To wrap this up...there is plenty of fan-service in the movie (a split second glimpse of Jazz break-dancing while transforming), and in-jokes that only fans of the animated series will catch, but I could see this being entertaining for anyone that likes action flicks. The origins of the robots is pretty well (if simply) explained so that the uninitiated viewers will not be left wondering what the hell is going on. To be certain, this is no Citizen Kane script, or story wise, but it is a fun ride.

If you liked the animated series as a kid, this movie is definitely worth seeing. Really.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:10 pm
by scarecrow
Sadly, I disagree.


As a MASSIVE fan of the transformers series I have to say this movie was every bit as bastardizing as Peter Parker with emo hair dancing in a jazz club. Optimus Prime was a raving retard for the most part of the movie...and his "pimp ass" new look was pathetic compared to the original. Flames and chrome don't suit the demeanor and intelligence that the original Prime demanded just by standing there. He was a leader....nothing fancy...just a blue collar guy that ended up leading a revolution. Bumblebee as a camaro.....could have been ok...with the exception of NO VOICE in the movie and using the Junkticons speech was annoying. THe Bumblebee air freshener that they kept showing thru the whole movie that read BEE-OTCH....was definately not in character or anywhere near it. Ironhide was a guntoting nutjob and Jazz's breakdancing was perfect...til he opened his mouth and something from Boyz in the Hood jumped out. Taking a lively character and making him a thug....I was glad he died. Ratchet was the only character on the Autobots that did it right even if he wasnt the right machine.


On to the Decepticons.

Starscream looked stupid in Robot form....no lines...no whining...all the things that make Starscream, Starscream...were gone. He had one cool scene of taking out some other jets...and that was it....15 seconds of fame. The banter between him and Megatron made me laugh hard thinking FINALLY the REAL movie starts...and it instantly fell back into the bottomless pit of cliche's that it started with. Frenzy was the Jar Jar of the movie....stupid. Annoying. Skorpinox was fuckin AWESOME.....Barricade was fuckin awesome.....Blackout was decent. Megatron's attitude and acting was perfect...but I can't get past that ID4 looking body.....and no guns...There were really good parts in the movie....unfortunately they were trampled by the idiocy of Bay.

On to the Idiocy....err....Humans..

That fucking retard from I' Robot....I fucking hate this kid...his very presence is annoying. And his acting is like 20,000 nails on a chalk board. Then throwing his stupid retard parents in the whole movie made it worse. The soldiers were the only humans in the movie worth having. They shoulda just named the main soldier Spike and I woulda been cool with it...oh and ex out that fuckin kid.


I am not a system of a down fan. However there are PARTS of their songs that I really like.....unfortunately they are surrounded by noise that makes my ears bleed. And that sums up this movie. Im righting this on a laptop and I cant keep my thoughts straight so if its incoherent babbling....fine. lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:59 pm
by Nephilim
After giving the movie much more though, and talking it through with some friends of mine that have also seen it (and are huge fans of Transformers), I would have to say that......




......I still disagree with you on most of your points.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:11 pm
by scarecrow
Nephilim wrote:After giving the movie much more though, and talking it through with some friends of mine that have also seen it (and are huge fans of Transformers), I would have to say that......




......I still disagree with you on most of your points.


I have a Decepticon symbol tattooed to my chest. Your opinions are noted. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:39 am
by Nephilim
I will note that I DO agree with you on Spiderman 3. It was teh suck.....big time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:33 pm
by Bigun
The only part I found to be particularly disappointing was the obvious lack of research on how computers actually work and how data theft is actually achieved.

Yes... this mysterious signal stole the President's interwebs.
:-x

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:04 pm
by iblis
Bigun wrote:The only part I found to be particularly disappointing was the obvious lack of research on how computers actually work and how data theft is actually achieved.

Yes... this mysterious signal stole the President's interwebs.
:-x

oh... my.

i guess it's going to have to wait for dvd.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:08 pm
by Nephilim
Name a single Hollywood movie that got computer hacking right.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:37 pm
by ArsenicAngel
Bigun wrote:The only part I found to be particularly disappointing was the obvious lack of research on how computers actually work and how data theft is actually achieved.

Yes... this mysterious signal stole the President's interwebs.
:-x


I found that part of the movie quite amusing and very sad at the same time. Interwebs :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:48 pm
by Bone
Nephilim wrote:Name a single Hollywood movie that got computer hacking right.


War Games... well almost anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:13 pm
by iblis
Nephilim wrote:Name a single Hollywood movie that got computer hacking right.

just because a problem is common, does not mean we should tolerate it.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:55 pm
by Nephilim
True, but the point was, that I don't expect it to be accurate, therefore I'm no longer disappointed when it happens. ;)


...and let's be dead-honest here.....computer hacking does not make for riveting viewing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:34 pm
by iblis
Nephilim wrote:...and let's be dead-honest here.....computer hacking does not make for riveting viewing.

what?! who doesn't want to watch a geek writing code, running code, stepping through the debugger to find exploitable issues in code, and chugging energy drinks for 72 hours* straight?

now that's excitement!





i guess i see your point, there.


damn it.


* oftentimes longer...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:37 pm
by Nephilim
iblis wrote:* oftentimes longer...



Good times.