Changing Styles (From Blah! to Goth)

And why shouldn't we talk about fashion???

Moderator: karlaBOO

Changing Styles (From Blah! to Goth)

Postby Shadow Of The Fox » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:51 am

Well, I guess I should probably explain what the purpose of posting this is. I've spent years upon years trying to decide on a style, and it's something that's always been in alot of flux. I went from preppy to punk to almost everything in-between, but the only thing that's ever brought the least bit of satisfaction is goth. I know this might sound a bit odd, but I'll try my best to ask for the help I need.

Does anyone know of good local shops that carry goth-styled pieces for men? I certainly don't mean an exclusively men's store, but I've found it to be a struggle finding guys' clothes in this style. Considering that most of my shopping has been in the smaller towns of Clinton and Oak Ridge, I'm not surprised, though.

Are there any designers or seamstresses that you've used to customize your wardrobe? I know that it would likely be expensive to replace everything in my closet, so I was hoping to find a way to salvage some of the pieces. Unfortunately, my talents are sorely lacking when it comes to sewing.

Sorry if I've missed threads on either one of these, but could anyone suggest makeup options/products for a beginner? I'm not real confident with much more than just the plain black eyeliner, so I could really use some ideas on something simple, something that I could build upon, but not make horrible mistakes with.

The other thing I guess I'm wondering about is hair. I've seen that Belleza and Studio M are both strong suggestions, as are some of the board members, but I don't have a clue about what can be done to short, male hair. I've got some dyes that I'm considering, but the cut and styling are the hardest thing for me to imagine. I tend to have (what I consider) a bad habit of just letting the hairdresser do what they want, and it seems like that irritates most people. Are there any good examples of goth male hair on the net anywhere?

Thanks for any help. :D
User avatar
Shadow Of The Fox
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Clinton

Postby rec|use » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:56 am

jesus
i'd rather be your enemy than hear you call me friend
User avatar
rec|use
 
Posts: 1152
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:22 pm
Location: ATL

Postby Shadow Of The Fox » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:06 pm

:sad: Sorry if I asked too many questions... :oops:
User avatar
Shadow Of The Fox
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Clinton

Postby Francesca » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:57 pm

Shadow Of The Fox wrote::sad: Sorry if I asked too many questions... :oops:


Hey...Don't mind him...

....nothing wrong with being new and eager...you will grow out of it and become blase and cynical with time... ;)


Click here: http://www.knoxgothic.com/sanctus/images/index.html

Look at men's haircuts that you like. Get some ideas.

If it helps you can break it out into categories:
1. Regular men's haircut. About 50% of the guys that show up don't do anything special to their hair.
2. About 20% of the guys just have long hair down to or past their shoulders.
3. About 15% have short new wave style cut that lends itself to spiking (Trance has nice hair. Voltaire falls into this category as well)
4. About 10% shave their head
5. About 5% do some really out there stuff mohawk/dreadlocks/falls/partially shaved.

Most guys leave their hair natural (mostly brown)
About 25-30% dye their hair black
About 10% partially dye their hair some other color (blue-fuschia)
About 5% bleach their hair out..

Hope this helps.
User avatar
Francesca
 
Posts: 301
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:32 am
Location: Knoxville/Chattanooga

Postby Shadow Of The Fox » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:01 pm

;) Hey, ya never know. I could be contagious. :lol:

That certainly was a major help, Francesca. :D I think currently, my hair is leaning towards that 15% of new wave. I guess it's sort of a mix (and please excuse the references) between Jamie Oliver and Brad Pitt (circa Fight Club).
I've always been intrigued by falls and dreads, though. :) Because of the short length & thin texture of my hair, I'm been a bit afraid of trying the latter. I've not been successful in finding pictures of guys with very short dreads, or that have short hair and have gone for false dreads and falls.
As far as the whole dying thing goes, I'm actually planning on getting mine dyed a nice chestnut red, with some black lowlights and blonde highlights. That's pretty well figured, and I have all the materials for that. I'm just struggling with the style and the possibility of add-ins and such.
User avatar
Shadow Of The Fox
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Clinton

Postby B_Ko » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:04 pm

Francesca wrote:
Shadow Of The Fox wrote::sad: Sorry if I asked too many questions... :oops:


Hey...Don't mind him...

....nothing wrong with being new and eager...you will grow out of it and become blase and cynical with time... ;)


Click here: http://www.knoxgothic.com/sanctus/images/index.html

Look at men's haircuts that you like. Get some ideas.

If it helps you can break it out into categories:
1. Regular men's haircut. About 50% of the guys that show up don't do anything special to their hair.
2. About 20% of the guys just have long hair down to or past their shoulders.
3. About 15% have short new wave style cut that lends itself to spiking (Trance has nice hair. Voltaire falls into this category as well)
4. About 10% shave their head
5. About 5% do some really out there stuff mohawk/dreadlocks/falls/partially shaved.

Most guys leave their hair natural (mostly brown)
About 25-30% dye their hair black
About 10% partially dye their hair some other color (blue-fuschia)
About 5% bleach their hair out..

Hope this helps.

I find it somewhat helps to model yourself after an animal on occassion. For example, my head often resembles a sea urchin or Sonic The Hedgehog.
Dude, i've got a full on robot chubby.
User avatar
B_Ko
 
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:57 pm
Location: takin' the midnight train goin' anywhere

Postby Shadow Of The Fox » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:12 pm

:roll: Lovely analogy :tup: I think that, currently, my hair seems to find itself best linked with individuals like Bowie. :roll:
User avatar
Shadow Of The Fox
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Clinton

Postby Sir Diddimus » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:26 pm

Shadow Of The Fox wrote::roll: Lovely analogy :tup: I think that, currently, my hair seems to find itself best linked with individuals like Bowie. :roll:


Can't go wrong there...... Just mentioning the B man's name will make some drool..... :lol:
Duct tape is like 'The Force'. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
User avatar
Sir Diddimus
 
Posts: 1971
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:12 pm
Location: Knoxville

Postby Shadow Of The Fox » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:54 pm

:lol: So I've noticed. I'm curious as to where people actually shop for their clothes. I've got a few nice things in my closet, but most of it would require real heavy alteration (which, unfortunately, I have no skill or talent for. :-( )
User avatar
Shadow Of The Fox
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Clinton

Postby Sir Diddimus » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:05 pm

Shadow Of The Fox wrote::lol: So I've noticed. I'm curious as to where people actually shop for their clothes. I've got a few nice things in my closet, but most of it would require real heavy alteration (which, unfortunately, I have no skill or talent for. :-( )


Me, I go eBay, or just don't care much anymore. I used to get some stuff made too, but that was a bit pricey.
Duct tape is like 'The Force'. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
User avatar
Sir Diddimus
 
Posts: 1971
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:12 pm
Location: Knoxville

Postby The Fallen » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:28 pm

Clothes? bah I just wear some torn, beat up black jeans and a Timothy Bradstreet vampire shirt. Nuttin special, but da women, dey adore the hell outta me.
:mrgreen:
Oh sad is the world. but I have Kavorkian's scarf.
User avatar
The Fallen
Pervert
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:50 pm
Location: The nearest rock he could crawl under

Postby Hardcoregirl » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:59 pm

Whatever you do promise you won't buy leather pants, a black fishnet shirt, a collar, and start painting your face like the Crow.

I've heard the Rugged Warehouse has some decent mens clothing.



Just please don't dress like a teenage hot topic mall goth (when I see men in their 20s or 30s wearing bondage pants made by Tripp I just shiver in disgust)
User avatar
Hardcoregirl
Moderator
 
Posts: 2761
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:04 pm
Location: land of rape and honey

Postby gothic_spleen » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:11 pm

Hardcoregirl wrote:Whatever you do promise you won't buy leather pants, a black fishnet shirt, a collar, and start painting your face like the Crow.

I've heard the Rugged Warehouse has some decent mens clothing.



Just please don't dress like a teenage hot topic mall goth (when I see men in their 20s or 30s wearing bondage pants made by Tripp I just shiver in disgust)


I dont mind the collar and the fishnet but u are right about the crow thing...plz dont do that....course i do the whole fishnet armwarmers...hey they feel comfortable and restrictive.
"OH SHIT.....MY SPLEEN" - ME
User avatar
gothic_spleen
Drunken Terrorist
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:13 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Postby Russo » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:47 am

Hardcoregirl wrote:Just please don't dress like a teenage hot topic mall goth (when I see men in their 20s or 30s wearing bondage pants made by Tripp I just shiver in disgust)


AMEN.

To those that do: Please stop wearing pants that could house a family of 4. Your dick doesn't need that much room to breathe.
If she were a street gang, I'd go to war with her with bottles and chains.
User avatar
Russo
 
Posts: 708
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:41 am

Postby karmakaze » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:14 am

Russo wrote:
Hardcoregirl wrote:Just please don't dress like a teenage hot topic mall goth (when I see men in their 20s or 30s wearing bondage pants made by Tripp I just shiver in disgust)


AMEN.

To those that do: Please stop wearing pants that could house a family of 4. Your dick doesn't need that much room to breathe.


The hell it doesn't
Making a HONDA fast is like coming out of the closet, yeah you might suprise a few people; but in the end.. your still gay.
-
http://www.xanga.com/karmakaze
http://www.myspace.com/karmakaze
User avatar
karmakaze
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 10:36 am
Location: 31337

Postby Shadow Of The Fox » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:42 am

gothic_spleen wrote:
Hardcoregirl wrote:Whatever you do promise you won't buy leather pants, a black fishnet shirt, a collar, and start painting your face like the Crow.

I've heard the Rugged Warehouse has some decent mens clothing.



Just please don't dress like a teenage hot topic mall goth (when I see men in their 20s or 30s wearing bondage pants made by Tripp I just shiver in disgust)


I dont mind the collar and the fishnet but u are right about the crow thing...plz dont do that....course i do the whole fishnet armwarmers...hey they feel comfortable and restrictive.


I certainly don't want to look like the Crow. Makeup worked on him, in the movie, because of the character he was. Me? I'm not dead, I'm not in a movie, and I'm not him, so it don't work out. :P I did experiment with liquid liner last night, and I figured that I do better with a bit of abstract curls and lines. 8-) Trouble is, my glasses get in the way of seeing them. :evil:
*rubs neck at the thought of a collar* Just thinking about it makes my neck hurt. And I've seen people do the whole fishnet/leather pants deal, and I don't think it looks good either. Fishnet has its place and leather has its place, but they do not go together. Fortunately for me, I was never in the horrible stage of teenage bondage wear. :evil: I realized early on that the stuff was crap. I go for a more eclectic, more mature look. :roll: It's precisely why I have to put my credit cards away when I see alot of sites that have wonderful clothes.

And Karmakaze, that just made me laugh so hard! :lol:
User avatar
Shadow Of The Fox
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Clinton

Postby gothic_spleen » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:35 pm

ok with me my typical sanctus/temple wear is black jeans(only pants i can find in my size) a black offensive T-shirt, or band shirt, or just black button up. I have to wear my colar because my owner says so. And my bondage bracelets, i spike my hair, or lay it down in parts with gel.....now that i have baby shit green hair color....rofl..ill probaly spike it this weekend



oh hard coregirl.......it had an interesting effect black lights make my head look like ive been dipped in green toxic goo......it looks sweet. I might keep it this way. thanx for all ur help, and yes ill PM u about those books
"OH SHIT.....MY SPLEEN" - ME
User avatar
gothic_spleen
Drunken Terrorist
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:13 am
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Postby Shadow Of The Fox » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:54 pm

Well, sounds like pretty solid fare for clubbing, Gothic. I probably'll try and get a few clothes online and then see about hiring a seamstress or something to alter pieces, bit by bit, as I have the money. I'm not really up to date, though, on who is actually still in the area... :-?
User avatar
Shadow Of The Fox
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Clinton

Postby Francesca » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:14 pm

Shadow Of The Fox wrote:Well, sounds like pretty solid fare for clubbing, Gothic. I probably'll try and get a few clothes online and then see about hiring a seamstress or something to alter pieces, bit by bit, as I have the money. I'm not really up to date, though, on who is actually still in the area... :-?


PM me, maybe we can work something out...alterations and re-working I can do-just don't have the time to work from scratch....
User avatar
Francesca
 
Posts: 301
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:32 am
Location: Knoxville/Chattanooga

Postby Shadow Of The Fox » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:36 pm

Francesca wrote:
Shadow Of The Fox wrote:Well, sounds like pretty solid fare for clubbing, Gothic. I probably'll try and get a few clothes online and then see about hiring a seamstress or something to alter pieces, bit by bit, as I have the money. I'm not really up to date, though, on who is actually still in the area... :-?


PM me, maybe we can work something out...alterations and re-working I can do-just don't have the time to work from scratch....
Alright. :D Believe me, with everything in my closet, there's no need to work from scratch. :roll: 8-) I'll send that pm.
User avatar
Shadow Of The Fox
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:54 pm
Location: Clinton

Next

Return to KnoxGothic Fashion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron