Yay!!! We're back

If it's not covered by one of those other categories, you should probably talk about it here. Be nice.

Postby Hardcoregirl » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:07 pm

I'm pretty sure the lab I work at has a mac server thats mounted in a cabinet.

But of course, we're the university and TDOT is funding the project.
"Oh no. Please don't antagonize hardcoregirl. We'll all regret it." -DarkVader
Hardcoregirl

Postby iblis » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:35 pm

The Xserve packs phenomenal power and industry-leading capabilities into a high-density, 1U rackmount server that fits easily into any network environment. And this award-winning UNIX-based server just got a 5x (1) performance boost over the Xserve G5, thanks to quad-core 64-bit Intel Xeon processing. Additional features include up to 2.25TB storage, two eight-lane PCI Express slots, dual onboard Gigabit Ethernet, and a combo drive. With all this, the Xserve provides the stability you need and the performance you want, starting at just $2999.

lol yeah. $3k is not bad at all for the package, but unless people suddenly start shitting gold ingots into the KG mailbox, i wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that system to be installed for the purple peons of knoxgothiness.
If carpenters made buildings the way programmers make programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy all of civilization. — Anonymous
iblis
Don't click the iblis link!!!!

Postby karmakaze » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:47 am

DarkVader wrote:
iblis wrote:
Bone wrote:
Arkady wrote:
Hardcoregirl wrote:Damn Mac servers!
*runs*

KG is not on a mac.

And thus the problem... :twisted:

do they make macs that are rack mountable?

apache and php do run in os x, and they do it well, but i think that if i used a mac for a 24/7 server, the gui would just have to go - resources and all.

http://www.apple.com/xserve/

The GUI doesn't do much if you're running headless - but it comes in really handy for admin stuff.

And we WOULD be running these if we could afford them. The KG server is a much lower-end machine.

Today's attempt at the upgrade failed again, I'll try again later in the week.

need a server or 2? i have a few compaq DL360's and a proliant 3000.
Making a HONDA fast is like coming out of the closet, yeah you might suprise a few people; but in the end.. your still gay.
-
http://www.xanga.com/karmakaze
http://www.myspace.com/karmakaze
karmakaze

Postby iblis » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:03 am

what version of proliant 3000?

and how much are you selling them for?
If carpenters made buildings the way programmers make programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy all of civilization. — Anonymous
iblis
Don't click the iblis link!!!!

Previous

Return to General